All 4/7/20 Updates Are Italicized
Please dial 2-1-1 for health and mental health questions related to COVID-19.
Latest News (updated 4/7/20)
- Governor Reynolds signed a new proclamation ordering closures of many additional businesses and establishments.
- The City’s annual Garage Sales, Spring Cleanup, and Hazardous Waste Collection events have been postponed to undetermined dates (see more information in the City section below).
- City playground equipment and shelter houses are closed until further notice.
We strongly recommend that you continue to practice social distancing, wash your hands regularly, staying home if you are sick, and comply with guidance issued by local, state, and federal authorities.
News & Resources (updated 4/3/20)
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- Report COVID-19 Fraud and Scams
- Iowa COVID-19 Information
- Iowa Office of the Governor
- Iowa Department of Public Health
- Dallas County Health Department
- Dallas County has a list of its impacted County services and offices
- Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
- Iowa Legal Aid: (800) 332-0419
- Refugee Alliance of Central Iowa
- Volunteer Opportunities
- Rumor Control from FEMA
- IRS Tax Information
- Iowa Department of Revenue Tax Information
- Mental Health Resources
- National Domestic Violence Hotline: (800) 799-7233
- ISU Extension Iowa Concern: (800) 447-1985
- National Suicide Prevention: (800) 273-8255
- National Alliance on Mental Illness: Text NAMI to 741741
- Parent Helpline: (855) 427-2736
- Heart of Iowa Community Services
- Substance Abuse & Mental Health Services Administration: (800) 662-4357
- Your Life Iowa: (855) 581-8111
Business Resources (updated 3/26/20)
- Iowa Economic Development Authority’s Business Recovery Assistance for employers and employees
- Greater Des Moines Partnership Rapid Response Hub for employers and employees
- Iowa Workforce Development for COVID-19 layoffs for employees and employers
- ISU Resources for Manufacturers
Governor’s Actions (updated 4/7/20)
Governor Kim Reynolds has taken several actions, including:
- New Proclamation Continuing State Public Health Emergency Declaration (issued 4/6/20)
- New Proclamation Continuing State Public Health Emergency Declaration (issued 4/2/20)
- New Proclamation Continuing State Public Health Emergency Declaration (issued 3/31/20)
- New Proclamation Continuing State Public Health Emergency Declaration (issued 3/26/20)
- New Proclamation Continuing State Public Health Emergency Declaration (issued 3/22/20)
- State Public Health Emergency Declaration (issued 3/20/20)
- State of Public Health Disaster Emergency (issued 3/17/20)
We strongly encourage you to carefully review these actions, as they are designed to help combat the spread of COVID-19.
City of Adel Operational Changes & Efforts (updated 4/1/20)
Based on the Governor’s recent announcement of “substantial community spread of COVID-19 in the state,” the City of Adel is taking the following steps to protect public health:
- The City’s annual Garage Sales, Spring Cleanup, and Hazardous Waste Collection events have been postponed to undetermined dates due to:
- The extension of social distancing guidelines through April 30
- These events should be coordinated together, as many residents use the garage sales to determine what items to discard during Spring Cleanup
- Discussion with event partners (i.e., the South Dallas County Landfill, Ankeny Sanitation, and Metro Waste Authority)
- The City has begun planning procedures to conduct “electronic” City meetings that still allow public access.
- Adel City Hall and other City buildings and facilities are closed to the public until further notice.
- The City of Adel Public Safety Building has closed access to the public amid COVID-19 concerns until further notice. The Adel Police Department continues to take calls for service and is taking extra precautions to increase safety. If you need to speak to an officer, please call Dallas County Dispatch at (515) 993-4567. In an emergency, always call 9-1-1.
- The Adel Public Library is closed until further notice. Please visit www.adelpl.org or follow the library’s Facebook page for further updates.
- The City is prioritizing plans and efforts for its Police, Fire, Water, and Sewer Departments.
- City phone numbers and email addresses are currently operational and are staffed during regular business hours.
- There are no plans at this time to significantly modify services related to the Adel Police Department and the Adel Fire Department.
- All City board, commission, and committee meetings are canceled until further notice.
- All City recreational programs are temporarily suspended.
- All water meter shutoffs and late fees are temporarily suspended to encourage safe and sanitary practices. Emergency water meter service will be handled on a case-by-case basis.
- The City has been in contact with other utilities and providers such as Ankeny Sanitation, Xenia Rural Water, MidAmerican Energy, Mediacom, and Centurylink. All entities have emergency or contingency plans in place to maintain service levels for homes and businesses.
- We strongly recommend conducting business with the City over-the-phone or online.
- City utility payments should be made online or over-the-phone at (866)229-7831, as those transaction fees are temporarily waived.
We recognize that these measures and others being taken throughout the state and country are disruptive.
We appreciate your patience and understanding as we move forward.
This post will be updated as further information becomes available.