Water, Sewer, Stormwater
The City of Adel maintains its own water and sanitary sewer treatment plants, making it possible to remain competitive in utility rates.
New Water Treatment Plant
As of March 2021, the City’s new Water Treatment Plant is now fully online!
If you use a home water softener, the City’s current hardness levels are 6-8 grains per gallon.
Pay My Water Bill
City utility bills are always due on the 20th of every month.
Need to pay your water bill? Click here to pay online! You can also pay your water bill by mailing payment to or stopping by Adel City Hall.
Over-The-Phone Utility Payments: (866) 229-7831
Please Note: You will need your account number to proceed.
To sign up for automatic withdrawal, please click here to download a form and return to Adel City Hall or email to Accounting Clerk Emily Light at firstname.lastname@example.org
Have you noticed the WET tax on your utility bill? Please click here for more details from the Iowa Department of Revenue.
Apply for Water, Sewer, & Garbage Service
Please click here to download an application for water, sewer, garbage, and recycling service. New accounts require a $150.00 deposit/$50 deposit for garbage & recycling only accounts. Applicants must turn in the application to Adel City Hall or send to email@example.com. For more information, please contact Adel City Hall.
Utilities Payment Policy
City utility bills must be paid in full (i.e., leaving an account balance of $0.00) by the 20th of each month.
If your account balance is not $0.00 by the end of the day on the 20th, the following will occur:
- Following the 20th, if payment was not received in full, a 10% late fee will be assessed and a reminder notice will be mailed.
- The amount listed on the reminder notice is due in full by the due date listed on the notice.
- If not paid by the date listed, disconnection tags will be hung on any accounts with a balance. A $30.00 tag fee will be assessed. The amount from the reminder notice as well as the $30.00 tag fee must be paid by 8:00 a.m. the following business day.
- The business day after the disconnection tags have been hung, service will be shut off and an additional $50.00 shut off fee will be assessed. If services are shut off, all past due and tag/shut off fees MUST be paid in full before service will be restored.
- Service will be restored between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m., Monday through Friday ONLY.
Please contact Adel City Hall with any questions.
Monthly Water Rates
Effective July 1, 2021
|First 2,000 gallons||$30.20|
|Everything thereafter||$15.10 per 1,000 gallons|
|*2,000 gallon minimum charge|
*City of Adel water service only. Please contact Xenia Rural Water if not on City water.
New water and sewer hookup
|Commercial||$500.00 + cost of meter|
*Oversize meters require an additional charge (i.e., the difference between the residential meter and the requested meter size).
Monthly Sewer Rates
Effective July 1, 2021. Based on water usage.
|First 2,000 gallons||$27.92|
|Everything thereafter||$13.96 per 1,000 gallons|
|*2,000 gallon minimum charge|
|Septic Haulers—min.1,500 gallons||$125.77|
Effective October 1, 2020.
Except as hereinafter noted, each customer whose property lies within the corporate limits of the City shall pay to the City, through its collection agent, at the same time payment for City water is made, the following charges associated with the customer’s property (an “ESU” means the median average impervious coverage of a detached dwelling unit property in the City of Adel, which has been determined by the City to be 3,000 square feet of impervious surface area):
- Undeveloped: Zero dollars ($0.00) per month;
- Developed: Three dollars ($3.60) per month for those properties which impervious coverage is less than two (2) times the average impervious coverage, or 6,000 square feet; or
- Developed: Three dollars ($3.60) per equivalent service unit (ESU) of impervious surface for those properties which impervious coverage is equal to or greater than two (2) times the average impervious coverage, or 6,000 square feet.
The number of equivalent service units (ESUs) on each property shall be calculated by an agent of the City of Adel based on the most recent aerial photography available to the City of Adel and/or impervious surface data from an approved site plan for the property. Beginning April 1, 2010, all site plans submitted to the City of Adel shall clearly list the total property area and total impervious surface area, in square feet.
Community Storm Water Initiative (CSWI) Surcharge: $6.00 per month
Credits and waivers of the utility’s service fee may be granted. Please click here for a waiver application.
Water Quality Reports
A Consumer Confidence Report for the Adel Municipal Water Works is distributed to customers annually. Below you will find past reports. Click on the year’s report to view it.
2020 Water Quality Report
2019 Water Quality Report
2018 Water Quality Report
2017 Water Quality Report
2016 Water Quality Report
2015 Water Quality Report
2014 Water Quality Report
2013 Water Quality Report
2012 Water Quality Report
2011 Water Quality Report
2010 Water Quality Report
2009 Water Quality Report